Chamber Opera "Madlenijanum"
was founded in 1998, at the first independent opera in Belgrade,
with its premises in Zemun, 32, Glavna Street. It is the legacy of
Mrs. Madlena Zepter. Its repertoire is focused on the works
of 17-18th century composers, as well as contemporary
musical stage forms.
Building of this opera house began in 1953. The construction work
stopped in 1956 for the reasons that are known insufficient.
However, it was continued in 1967 and was finished in 1969.
National Theatre was using this premises for its own needs (as Zemun
scene) until the middle of 1998. That is when Chamber Opera "Madlenijanum"
moved into the building. The premises were revitalized and adapted.