Cyprus: Cities

Lefkosia (Nicosia)

.
Lefkosia Area: 2
 

Machairas Monastery
41 km South of Lefkosia, through Deftera and Pera villages
Founded by two monks in 1148, when an icon of Virgin Mary was found in a nearby cave, monastery is set in a picturesque dip in the Machairas Mountains. Following a grant by the Anastasios G. Leventis Foundation, the vestry of Machairas monastery, which is housed in monastery basement, has been renovated and consists of original cells of the monks, as well as stables and storage areas, which were restored specifically for this purpose. Vestry has a room, where Monastery's old books and manuscripts are kept, galleries and rooms containing icons and other religious artifacts.
Brotherhood is extremely devout, keeping vows as strict as those of Mount Athos in Greece.
Organized groups may visit monastery on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 09:00-12:00. Use of photo and video cameras inside the monastery is prohibited.

Fikardou
1.5 km east of Gourri village (Machairas-Lefkosia road via Klirou), Tel: (02) 63 47 31
The whole village has been declared an ancient "monument" in order to preserve remarkable woodwork and folk architecture of 18th century houses. Houses of Katsinioros and Achilleas Dimitri, some parts of which date back to 16th century, have been restored as vivid examples of rural architecture. In consequence they received the Europe Nostra award in 1987.

Agios Panteleimon Convent
1.5 km Northwest of Agrokipia village
An 18th century monastery, with gabled roof, now serves as a retreat for three nuns.

Archangelos Michail Convent
Off the Lefkosia-Anthoupolis road, 10 minutes drive from Lefkosia
Church dating back to Byzantine period, was founded by Archbishop Nikiforos, whose tomb could be seen in the narthex of. Rebuilding was carried out in 1636 and in 1713, when Kykkos Monastery purchased it. The iconostasis dates back to 1650 and there is a 1785 fresco of Archangelos Michail. Now, it houses Kykkos Monastery Research Center.

Peristerona
27 km from Lefkosia, on the Lefkosia-Troodos road
Saints Barnabas and Hilarion church founded here, was probably erected in the early 10th century and is an outstanding example of Byzantine architecture, with five domes forming a cross. Next to the church stands Turkish Mosque of Peristerona, witness to the long and peaceful coexistence between Greek and Turkish Cypriots of the village (and the whole of Cyprus) in a time, when Turkey had not yet adopted its partitionist and expansionist policy.   

 

Cyprus

.
Shopping Center

Top of page          

Home

Privacy Policy ; Terms Of Service ; Affiliate Us ; Partners ; Advertise ; Advertise with us ; About us ; Contact Us
Copyright Caroun.com. All rights reserved.