Cyprus: Cities

Lefkosia (Nicosia)

.
Lefkosia Area
 

Dali Region
About 20 km South of Lefkosia, on Lefkosia-Larnaka/Lemesos road
Remains of all historic periods of the island could be traced in this area. Excavations of Ancient Dali, one of the ancient city-kingdoms of Cyprus, are currently taking place in the town of Dali.
Byzantine church of Agioi Apostoloi could be seen at Pera Chorio. It has excellent examples of wall paintings dating back to the late 12th century, which are considered by scholars as some of the finest examples of Komninian style in Cyprus. An important church in the region is that of Agios Dimitrios (16th century).
Medieval ruins exist around the village of Potamia, namely the ruins of the summer Palace of Frankish kings of Cyprus, as well as those of a Gothic church.
A small technological museum has been set up in nearby village of Agia Varvara (10 minutes from Dali). This village borders upon old copper mines.

Panagia Chrysospiliotissa
Near Deftera village, 11 km Southwest of Lefkosia
Dedicated to "Our Lady of Golden Cave", catacomb structure of the church indicates that it dates back to the early Christian period. A religious fair is held near the church on 15th August, name day of Virgin Mary.

Tamassos
Politiko village, 20 km Southwest of Lefkosia
Tamassos was a rich city-kingdom in ancient Cyprus, renown for its copper mines. Excavations have brought to light Royal Tombs and copper workshops associated with Aphrodite-Astarte.

Agios Irakleidios Convent
Politiko village, 0.5 km from Royal Tombs
When Saints Paul and Barnabas came to Cyprus, Irakleidios, whom they later consecrated as Bishop of Tamassos, guided them to Tamassos. He was martyred and buried in the cave, where he had lived and preached. Monastery, founded in 400 AD, was destroyed and rebuilt several times, until Archbishop Chrysanthos renovated the church and cells in 1773. Relics of the saint are kept in a silver gilt case. Organized groups may visit the convent on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 09:00-12:00. Use of photo and video cameras inside Convent is prohibited.

Machairas Monastery
41 km South of Lefkosia, through Deftera and Pera villages
Founded by two monks in 1148, when an icon of Virgin Mary was found in a nearby cave, monastery is set in a picturesque dip in the Machairas Mountains. Following a grant by the Anastasios G. Leventis Foundation, the vestry of Machairas monastery, which is housed in monastery basement, has been renovated and consists of original cells of the monks, as well as stables and storage areas, which were restored specifically for this purpose. Vestry has a room, where Monastery's old books and manuscripts are kept, galleries and rooms containing icons and other religious artifacts.
Brotherhood is extremely devout, keeping vows as strict as those of Mount Athos in Greece.
Organized groups may visit monastery on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 09:00-12:00. Use of photo and video cameras inside the monastery is prohibited.

Fikardou
1.5 km east of Gourri village (Machairas-Lefkosia road via Klirou), Tel: (02) 63 47 31
The whole village has been declared an ancient "monument" in order to preserve remarkable woodwork and folk architecture of 18th century houses. Houses of Katsinioros and Achilleas Dimitri, some parts of which date back to 16th century, have been restored as vivid examples of rural architecture. In consequence they received the Europe Nostra award in 1987.

Agios Panteleimon Convent
1.5 km Northwest of Agrokipia village
An 18th century monastery, with gabled roof, now serves as a retreat for three nuns.

Archangelos Michail Convent
Off the Lefkosia-Anthoupolis road, 10 minutes drive from Lefkosia
Church dating back to Byzantine period, was founded by Archbishop Nikiforos, whose tomb could be seen in the narthex of. Rebuilding was carried out in 1636 and in 1713, when Kykkos Monastery purchased it. The iconostasis dates back to 1650 and there is a 1785 fresco of Archangelos Michail. Now, it houses Kykkos Monastery Research Center.

Peristerona
27 km from Lefkosia, on the Lefkosia-Troodos road
Saints Barnabas and Hilarion church founded here, was probably erected in the early 10th century and is an outstanding example of Byzantine architecture, with five domes forming a cross. Next to the church stands Turkish Mosque of Peristerona, witness to the long and peaceful coexistence between Greek and Turkish Cypriots of the village (and the whole of Cyprus) in a time, when Turkey had not yet adopted its partitionist and expansionist policy.   

 

Cyprus

.
Shopping Center

Top of page          

Home

Privacy Policy ; Terms Of Service ; Affiliate Us ; Partners ; Advertise ; Advertise with us ; About us ; Contact Us
Copyright Caroun.com. All rights reserved.