Tekke Hala Sultan


Cyprus: Cities

Larnaka

.
Larnaka area-1
 

Hala Sultan Tekesi
3 km West of Larnaka on the road to Kiti, passing Larnaka Airport
It was built in 1816 over the tomb of Umm Haram, allegedly a relative of Prophet Mohammed, who died on this spot in 649 during the first Arab raids. The mosque is an important place of Cypriot Moslem pilgrimage ranking immediately after shrines of Mecca, Medina.

Angeloktisti Church
Kiti village, 11 km West of Larnaka
Angeloktisti means, "Built by the Angels". This 11th century Byzantine church was erected over the ruins of an Early Christian basilica. The original apse survived together with one of the finest pieces of Byzantine art, a rare 6th century mosaic of Virgin Mary and Child between two archangels, which rivals the Ravenna Mosaics.

Royal Chapel
Pyrga village, 35 km South of Lefkosia, 32 km from Larnaka
It was built by Lusignan King Janus in 1421. It contains a wall painting of the king with his wife, Charlotte de Bourbon, on one of its walls. It is considered one of the most interesting structures surviving from Frankish Period.

Stavrovouni Monastery
9 km off the Lefkosia-Lemesos road, 40 km from Larnaka
Perched on a rocky peak, Stavrovouni means Mountain of the Cross. According to tradition, it was founded in 4th century by Saint Helena, mother of Constantine the Great, who left a fragment of the Holy Cross to monastery. The brotherhood is extremely devout, keeping vows as strict as those of the Mount Athos brotherhood in Greece. Women are not allowed in monastery, though men may visit monastery daily from sunrise to sunset, except from 12:00-13:00 (15:00 in summer), on Green Monday and the following day.
There is an impressive ceremony and celebrations on 14th September, the day of Exaltation of the Holy Gross. Monastery of Agia Varvara (Saint Barbara) at the foot of Stavrovouni hill is easily accessible. Monks here have a high reputation for icon painting.

Agios Effimianos Church
Near Stavrovouni Monastery, in Kornos area
Byzantine church of Agios Effimianos is in Lysi village, presently under Turkish military occupation. After the invasion in 1974 its 14th century frescoes were dismounted, fragmented in 38 pieces and smuggled abroad. They were finally found in Munich, where Government of Cyprus together with Menil Foundation in USA bought frescoes with the agreement that these will be exhibited in Houston (USA) for a period of 15 years before their return home.
People of Lysi have built a new church on the model of the original, where replicas of frescoes are displayed in the basement.

 

Cyprus

.
Shopping Center

Top of page          

Home

Privacy Policy ; Terms Of Service ; Affiliate Us ; Partners ; Advertise ; Advertise with us ; About us ; Contact Us
Copyright Caroun.com. All rights reserved.