The Chakri Group was built and resided in by King
Chulalongkorn, Rama V (1868-1910). Only the reception
portion is now used, consisting of two wings for reception
purposes, decorated with galleries of portraiture.
In between is the central throne-hall, now used for
various purposes and formerly for the reception of foreign
envoys, on the occasions of the presentation of the
credentials. It is aptly decorated with four canvasses of
One on the right as one enters depicts the reception by
Queen Victoria of King Mongkut's ambassador in London,
further on Louis XIV's reception of the mission sent by
King Narai of Ayutthaya in "Gallerie des Glaces",
in the palace of Versailles; a third, on the other side of
the room, King Mongkut's reception of French Envoy, and
the fourth the reception at Fontainebleau by Emperor
Napoleon III of another Siamese Mission.
The crystal decorations of the hall are mostly presents
from foreign monarchs to King Chulalongkorn.
By the side of the inner grand staircase, is the dining
hall, attached to the building.