an area of about 2000 hectares, remains of the ancient city of
Neishabour is located on the South-eastern boundary of the present-day
Neishabour. The area enjoys, ancient hills of Kohandezh, Alb-Arsalan,
Sabz-poushan, Shadiakh, Tappeh Madraseh, Bazaar, Qanat Tappeh and
1935, for the first time, some scientific archaeological excavations
were conducted by an American expedition led by Charles and Wilkinson
on behalf of the Metropoliten Museum, due to which some superb objects
were discovered in hills of Tappeh Sabz-poushan, Tappeh Madraseh,
Qanat Tappeh and Tappeh Takestan.
1966, Richard Bullitt carried out a comprehensive research to renovate
the ancient city. In 1968, Seifollah Kambakhsh Fard excavated one part
of the ancient city. In 1988, the fourth research was carried out by
an expedition led by Seyed Mahmoud Mousavi, due to which some
architectural remains, dating back the Saljuq period, were discovered.
the late 1999, an expedition led by Rajab Ali Labbaf Khaniki has been
excavating the area of Shadiakh.