Church and ex-Monastery of Santa Cruz (Holy Cross)
Monastery of the most Holy Cross of the Miracles of
Located on Sangremal hill, near where the conquest of
Queretaro was consummated, this church was originally
built by Franciscans as Calvary, hermitage and chapel and
since 1683, site of the first School of Propaganda y
Fide in America.
This place of legends, such as the one about tree of
thorns that grew from Fray Margil de Jesus cane, is also
an historic site.
It was here that the Spanish surrendered before Augustine
de Iturbide in 1821.
It was headquarters for American troops in 1848, and it
was Maximiliano de Hapsburgo's general headquarters and
The neoclassical church has been restored and even though
the monastery is quite deteriorated it contains invaluable