Aqueduct, over a kilometer long, was built between 1726
and 1738 to feed ten public fountains and sixty private
It was made of pink stone and cement and its semicircular
arches measuring almost 23 meters high extend along the
"Calzada de los Acros" (Avenue of the Arches).
The designer and builder was Marquis of Villa del Villar
del Aguila, who donated it to the city at the request of
the capuchin nuns from the Convent of San Jose, because the
drinking water was unhealthy and, as they claimed, caused
madness among inhabitants.
This work of civil engineering, transcended its original
purpose and became one of Queretaro's most distinctive