Khorasan Road, Iran
Abbas-abad is located some 120 Km east of Shahroud, on the
road to Sabzevar.
In this village, there is located a caravansary and a
fort, both built by Shah Abbas the Great, 1600 AD. The
Shah transported a band of Christian Georgian to this
place, his idea being to have them form part of the
bulwark against the Turkmen.
The caravansary is the biggest on Khorasan road and it
covers an area of approximately 10,000 Sq. m. It is built
on 4-verands plan, but, in fact has 2 original verandas on
the west and east sides. The south and north verandas have
been arranged to enter the stables.
The courtyard is square, 57x57 m. There are 36 chambers:
20 chambers on the east and west and 16 chambers on the
north and south; all the chambers are the same size,
4.30x3.75 m, and each chamber has an arcade in front,
which measures 2.50x3.60 m.
A small stream enters the caravansary from the west side,
replenishing a pool in the middle of the courtyard and
flows out on the east side.
The structure was solidly constructed of brick and plaster
in 1821. During Qajar period, it was repaired by a wealthy
merchant and bears an inscription stating the date and the
name of the benefactor.